Irish Soda Bread
4-1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
1-3/4 cups buttermilk
– Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
-Soften butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers.
– Beat egg and mix it with buttermilk.
– Make a dish in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk/egg. Mix until the dough is too thick to stir.
– Dust your hands with flour, then gently knead the dough in the bowl. If the dough feels wet or sticky, add a little more flour. Only knead enough to form the dough into a ball. (Try not to over-knead – your bread will come out tough.)
– Grease an iron skillet or a baking sheet and transfer dough onto it. Make a large X across the top of the dough. (This helps the center cook evenly).
– Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check to see if your bread is done by sticking a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, you’re done! If not, bake for five more minutes and check again.