A gas leak was reported in the cafeteria and authorities were alerted Sept. 8. The campus evacuated the dining hall immediately and the Fire Department scoured the building but detected no traces of gas. San Diego Fire Capt. Hartman said, “… not to turn off the gas… (They) couldn’t find anything.” After the firefighters left, a plumber from SDG&E came to the campus wanting to double-check that all was well. The evening sergeant for SDCCD campus police said, “… It dissipated very quickly and whatever it is isn’t there anymore.” Plumber Jim Hawn said that checking on the school in the morning would be a first priority. The building was reopened for entry at 4:45 p.m. after being closed for about an hour.