‘Occupiers’ ponder future

James Dale is not going away. The 24-year-old has been a participant in Occupy San Diego for two months and plans to continue despite the police decision to remove the camp.

¨I’m going to be here until the end,” said Dale on Nov. 28 in front of the Civic Center. “It doesn’t matter if they like it or not.”

San Diego police began to clear the dozens of tents that had been set up in front of the center since Oct. 7. Unsanitary conditions and unlawful camping are the main reasons why the camps have been removed.

Authorities have closed camps and arrested participants across the country, including Occupy Wall Street, which launched this movement.

It is uncertain of what is going to happen next. Protesters are evaluating the situation and deciding what the main goal will be.

In San Diego, at least one hundred have been arrested; many claim they have had their belongings taken away and in some cases beaten up by police.

Only a few dozen people appear to be committed to continuing the Occupy San Diego effort, Dale being one of them.

Originally from Riverside, Dale served in the Army for four years and has been involved in Occupy San Diego for two months.

On the afternoon that Dale spoke, Ray Lutz a former congressional candidate, set up a table to register protesters for voting.

Police officers who are under constant surveillance of protesters, immediately jumped in and said that Lutz had no right of having his booth set up in front of Civic Center Plaza.

Lutz argued that he was in private property and that officers could not do anything about it.

Lutz was arrested the following day by building guards for trespassing and refusing to leave.

Protesters will continue to march and chant, according to Dale and other activists.