Propositions to know about before turning in your ballot

Proposition 30 – Finding Funding for California’s Schools 

If passed, Proposition 30 would raise the annual income tax rates for Californians who earn more than $250,000 a year. The measure would also increase California’s sales-tax rate from 7.25% to 7.50%. The state would then allocate 89% of the revenue generated by these tax hikes to K-12 schools and give the remaining 11% to community colleges.

Proposition 30 is also designed to pump money back into California’s public safety services. The measure would stop the state from controlling public safety funding and give that power back to local governments.

Opponents against Proposition 30 include: The Sacramento Taxpayers Association, The California Republican Party, The San Diego Tax Fighters, The San Diego Union Tribune and The North County Times.

Supporters for Proposition 30 include: Gov. Jerry Brown, The California Teachers Association, California Nurses Association, The California Democratic Party and The League of Women Voters of California.

Proposition  34 – The Death Penalty Question 

If passed, Proposition 34 would end the death penalty in California. All inmates currently awaiting execution on California’s death row would have their judgements shifted to serve out life sentences rather than face lethal injection.

Authors of the bill argue that it is more profitable to make money off a death row inmate rather than simply kill them. Any money earned by inmates while serving their life sentences in prison would be used to pay off victim restitution fines and court fees.

Since 1978 California has only executed 13 of its death row inmates.

Opponents against Proposition 34 include: The Californian Republican Party, Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs, Sacramento County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, The California District Attorneys Association.

Supporters for Proposition 34 include: Mayor of Los Angeles Antonio R. Villaraigosa, Former Warden of San Quentin State Prison Jeanne Woodford, The California Democratic Party and The American Civil Liberties Union.

Proposition 37 – Labeling of Genetically Modified Foods 

If passed, Proposition 37 would force the labeling of genetically modified foods on food packaging. The measure will also put an end to mis-advertised foods that are labeled as being “natural” simply for marketing purposes.

Authors of the bill have dubbed it the “The California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act” .

Financially, the bill would bring in revenue for California from anywhere between a few hundred thousand to $1 million to regulate the labeling of packaged foods.

Supporters for Proposition 37 include: The Organic Consumers’ Association, The Institute for Responsible Technology, The California Democratic Party and Nature’s Path.

Opponents against Proposition 37 include: The Californian Republican Party, The California Small Business Association, The California Farm Bureau Association and The California Taxpayer Protection Committee.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].

More to Discover
Donate to City Times

Activate Search
The news site of San Diego City College
Propositions to know about before turning in your ballot