No plans for spring break? Here are 5 ways to spend your time

Not everyone has a grand trip planned, so why not spend your time locally?

City College spring breakers can enjoy free sessions offered by yoga instructor Amy Baack, right, at Sunset Cliffs Every Saturday. amybaack.com photo

Luke Bradbury, Multimedia Journalist

Spring break is finally upon us here at San Diego City College, affording us some well-earned rest and relaxation, as well as an opportunity for travel.

But planning big trips can be time-consuming and expensive.

Here are some ideas for killing time that you can do right here in San Diego.

1. Pick up a new skill

Spring break is an opportunity to learn something new and expand your horizons. If there’s something you have been wanting to learn but never had the time, now is your chance. Pick something up on your own or attend a class. 

If you can’t think of anything, Cuts DJ Academy is putting on a free DJ workshop this weekend taught by celebrity instructor DJ Symphony. It will cover everything you need to get started as a DJ, from basic music mixing to attitude.

Give it a shot, it might be your thing.

— Bailey Kohnen

2. Stay active

Perhaps there is no better time to exercise than on spring break. Consider jogging, hiking, playing a sport, or any activity to get outside and stay active. 

One option is yoga. Every Saturday, free sessions are offered by yoga instructor Amy Baack at Sunset Cliffs. This is a beginner-friendly course and no prior experience is needed. Just make sure to bring your own yoga mat.

— Paul Lai

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Amy Baack (@mindbodybadass)

3. Work on mental health

Classes are coming to a pause which means you can focus your energy on yourself. 

Catch up on that sleep you have been lacking, connect with others, spend time in nature and find ways you can reduce stress. 

Consider learning about box breathing when under extreme pressure or learn about tapping to help fight anxiety. 

Practice self-care which can be a nice bath with candles or reading a book in a park breathing fresh air. 

Take yourself out to a restaurant and learn the meaning of it’s “okay to be alone.”

4. Go out of town

Spring break is the perfect time to go on a short trip, possibly to see the snow up in Julian or go to the beaches in Tijuana.

Visiting someplace new and relaxing can be a great way to forget about the stress of school and take some time for yourself or with family and friends.

A drive out to Cuyamaca for a day hike or a train trip up to Los Angeles for some great food is inexpensive, and even a multi-day trip can be affordable with camping and motels. 

5. Make time for yourself 

Spring break is the perfect time to take a step back from the demands of school and work and focus on feeling like yourself again. It’s time to indulge in self-care and compassion by catching up on some much-needed rest and relaxation. 

Reduce stress and create a sense of well-being by reorganizing your room or personal space by clearing out any clutter or furniture. 

Limit your screen time by engaging in activities that don’t involve staring at a screen.

Indulge in some delicious food by satisfying your tastebuds with an appetizing meal at Supannee House of Thai in Point Loma. This week is all about you!

Students in DJRN 200, Newswriting for Multimedia, contributed to this report.