‘Vagina Monologues’ return Feb. 24-25

San Diego City College’s World Cultures program is holding a series of events leading up to its production of “The Vagina Monologues.”

The Vagina Jam was held Feb. 9,  and included an open mic session where artists and poets showcased their talents.

On Feb. 14, Vulva-Palooza took place. Organizers sold balloons and interviewed students.

“The Vagina Monologues really allow a safe environment to talk about vaginas and things that are taboo,” said director Rebekah Ensley.

The goal of the show is to get people in the community to help stop violence against women and girls.

The play will be held at the Saville Theatre on Feb. 24 and 25.

For the second year, proceeds will benefit Diana Gonzalez, a victim of domestic violence who was slain on campus in 2010.

Gonzalez’s family and daughter will receive 90 percent of the proceeds, and the remaining 10 percent will go to the Spotlight Campaign to help women and girls in Haiti.

The play is a series of monologues portraying different scenarios of a woman’s sexual life.

City College first staged a production of the play in 2010 but it was limited to only one performance.

“The Vagina  Monologues” was written by Eve Ensler in 1996 to help end violence against women.

After the creation of the play, came Vagina Day, also known as V-Day which is a global activist movement meant to raise awareness and raise money to benefit female victims of domestic violence.

For more information on “The Vagina Monologues” visit http://sdcity.edu/CampusLife/WorldCulturesProgram.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].

More to Discover
Donate to City Times

Activate Search
The news site of San Diego City College
‘Vagina Monologues’ return Feb. 24-25