The Sage prints its last page

After more than 30 years of hard work and dedication, San Diego’s Miramar College shut down “The Sage” student newspaper production class permanently this semester.

The newspaper was shut down due to a lack of enrollment in the course the previous spring semester.

Dr. Leslie Klipper was the faculty advisor to “The Sage” and she agreed to remove the course from the school.

“The paper was shut down due to a lack of student participation. The administration has always been supportive and willing to fund the paper. Last spring, only 5 students had enrolled in Jour. 210 and then 3 dropped before the start of class. We would have run the paper with 2 students, then one dropped, so I opted to shut the class down,” says Klipper.

She also stated that this has been going on for some years now. Only a handful of students enroll into the class, but not enough to make the newspaper flourish.

According to Miramar’s website, around 13,000 students attend this school and out of that number only a 5 enrolled in Journalism 210 in the spring.

The final newspaper   published on campus was in Dec. of 2011.

The college might produce a blog on the internet run by students, but nothing is set in motion right now.

The school is expected to be completing a Miramar College Transit Center within the next year, which will have 11 bays on the north side of the campus.

This new addition will create easier transportation opportunities to this destination. This development could possibly draw more students to enroll in classes at the college, and hopefully bring “The Sage” back to life.

This project is being funded by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System.

When will “The Sage” come back? With all the renovations going on on campus, maybe more people will want to enroll in Jour 210 in the future.

As of now, there is no one proceeding to bring the student newspaper back on campus.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].