AllOut or all in?

For the first time, the San Diego City College District will have a float in the San Diego Pride Parade. A club for LGBTQ students on campus, however, is talking boycott if it’s not allowed to shape the float’s content.

Members of the club, AllOut@City, expressed enthusiasm about the float but said they are concerned that it will not include student voices. They said they felt completely left out of the communication about the float thus far.

“Students are very excited to have a queer-led initiative … but will not tolerate censorship,” said Will Williams, a member of AllOut@City, which is part of an international advocacy organization.

Dean of Students Michael Paul Wong is coordinating City College’s and supports involving the student group.

“My intention, which I have made clear to the other colleges, is to have AllOut representatives present at every level of planning,” he said in an email. “I don’t get to make promises on behalf of my colleagues, but that’s what I personally want to do.”

Wong is meeting with the student group and is confident that he will be able to provide the members with what they want.

Wong was asked how the float would be funded.

“I don’t know. We are asking the district for funds and individual campuses are looking to see what’s available,” Wong wrote.

“I’m sure AllOut will consider asking ASG– or maybe all 3 ASG’s — for funding but there may be some constitutional issues with that given that the parade is in July,” he wrote.

Editor’s Note: When this story was originally published in City Times February 25, 2014 issue it stated that Michael Wong was coordinating the parade float with AllOut@City and his name was spelled incorrectly. Changes have been made to this story for accuracy.

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].