New support groups available to students

City College students will have three new weekly support groups on campus.

New weekly support groups are available on the San Diego City College Campus. By Jonny Rico.

Jesse Altilio, Staff Writer

San Diego City College’s Mental Health Counseling Center is offering three new in-house support groups this fall.

LGBTQIA+ Support Group, Healthy Relationships support group and Mindfulness and Meditation support group will all have weekly on-campus meetings starting this Fall 2018.

The LGBTQIA+ Support Group will meet on Tuesdays from 10:00 – 11 a.m. in MS-221. This queer support group is a safe place to discuss shared experiences, gain support from others in the community, and improve self-care and stress reduction skills.

Healthy Relationships support group, which supports personal and academic success by helping students learn about healthy relationships with family and partners, will meet Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in MS-565. The group visitors are encouraged to come alone or as a couple and new discussion topics will be presented every week.

The Mindfulness and Meditation support group will meet on Wednesdays from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. in AH-101. The group offers mindfulness and meditation practice every week, helping students to slow down, focus and create success by promoting emotional well-being.

All three groups are open to all and the Mindfulness and Meditation group does not require prior experience.

The Mental Health Counseling Center, which is located in BT-105 and opens five days a week, offers a variety of confidential, culturally-sensitive mental health services.

Services are covered under the health fee and are free to all attending City College.  Students do not need to have serious mental health issues to access MHCC services.

Appointments can be made by phone at 619-388-3055 or online at www.sdcity.edu/mentalhealthcounseling.

Suicide Lifeline: If you or someone you know may be struggling with suicidal thoughts, you can call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) any time of day or night, text COURAGE to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741 or chat online.