City College students prepare for transfer

The transfer fair aided students looking to move on to universities.

Aurora Ruvalcaba

Students looking to transfer sought information from universities at the transfer fair. Photo by Aurora Ruvalcaba

Melisa Cabello-Cuahutle, News Editor

San Diego City College held its annual Transfer Fair this Tuesday, on the AH-BT Quad.

The event takes place every fall semester, with the expectation of direct communication and engagement between students and university representatives, according to Transfer Center Director Abdimalik Buul.

“Our focus as the transfer center is really to give you direct information, correct information, so you can make the most appropriate choice for the university and major you want to transfer to,” Buul said. “We are just really about connecting that pipeline, ensuring that the communication is fluid and clear and up to date and ultimately ensuring that our students are successful at the next level.”

Representatives from SDSU sit at a booth at the 2019 transfer fair.
Aurora Ruvalcaba
SDSU was one of over 50 schools to send representatives to the transfer fair. Photo by Aurora Ruvalcaba

As the deadline for transfer application approaches, students who are applying this year had the opportunity to ask representatives from diverse universities questions about the process and their programs.

Sonia Olmos, who has been a student at City since 2009, hopes to transfer to San Diego State University and had the opportunity to visit their booth and pick some pamphlets. Olmos said the fair was interesting, in a way that guides students to be sucessful and finish school.

Students who are not applying this year also stopped by the fair to ask questions in order to clarify a path they want to take in future years.

“My main transfer (option) is San Diego State, but it’s always (good) to have a good backup. There’s a few colleges that opened my interest,” first-year student Linna Bravo said.

The fair was met with a sunny weather and a good turn out of students, especially in between classes.

The fair included over 50 university representatives from local institutions like SDSU, UCSD and USD, plus several of the UC and CSU school systems and smaller, private 4-year colleges to bigger ones like USC and Columbia University.

Anyone who wishes to know more about transferring can visit the center who organized the event, the Transfer & Career Center at the A building.