Focus group for the LGBTQ+ community begins at City College

Have your voice heard

Jaime Seiverd discusses the LGBQT+ focus group and how it can benefit that community.

Gabriel Schneider, Managing Editor

During City College’s virtual  Welcome Week, Jaime Seiverd, a research and planning analyst with San Diego Community College District, announced a new student focus group for the LGBTQ+ community. 

“I am really excited to share and uplift the voices of LGBQT+ students because our leaders are interested in making sure that you’re heard,” Seiverd said.

The data will be used for improving campuses which can include pride centers or safe spaces, curriculum changes and better training for faculty and staff about the LGBTQ+ community.

The focus group will be held over Zoom and last two hours. Participants can leave at any time.

To sign up for the focus group, fill the survey here. Those interested can also email Seiverd more information at [email protected].

Seiverd said the privacy of participants is a priority.

“The data we are collecting, your stories or words will be fiercely protected,” Seiverd said. “I will be removing anything that can possibly identify you.”

To access Welcome Week videos, go to San Diego City College’s YouTube account or click the link here.

Editor’s note: City Times has updated its style guide to standardize the “+” in LGBTQ+ to encompass all groups that are in the community. We’re making this change to prevent any exclusion toward individuals that tie themselves with the LGBTQ+ community.