City College offering scholarships for fall students

Student Affairs has set up a virtual scholarship office to help

Scholarship virtual office hours are held every Wednesday in September. sdcity.edu screenshot

Deserie Larios, Staff Writer

Students at San Diego City College can apply now for scholarships to help cover the cost of their education. 

An updated list of current scholarships for fall 2020 is available at sdcity.academicworks.com. Each scholarship has specific requirements, which are available on the website.

The Friends of Downtown is the largest contributor of single scholarships to the campus each year. Nearly $600,000 in scholarships have been awarded to students of San Diego City College since 2000.

Students can apply for one of two Friends of Downtown scholarships if they are enrolled in at least 9 units. Applicants must be available for an interview in October and a Zoom ceremony with donors in November.

The deadline for both is September 27.

The Silvergate Bank Scholarship is supported by individuals who work and/or live in the downtown community. Requirements include a minimum 3.0 GPA and a current educational plan, but part-time students are eligible.

Priority is given to students pursuing a degree in Black Studies and/or in the Umoja program. The deadline is October 4.

To assist applicants, Student Affairs has set up a virtual scholarship office on Zoom. Students with questions about scholarships can visit every Wednesday in September from 10-11 a.m. here: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j97515854934.