City College greets students in live-streamed event

Classes are still available for spring 2021 semester

Lori Oldham (top left) hosts the first Welcome Week live-streamed event. YouTube screenshot

Gabriel Schneider, Managing Editor

San Diego City College’s Welcome Week, hosted by Student Affair coordinator Lori Oldham, informed students of resources and opportunities to get involved in the upcoming semester, even as remote learning continues due to the pandemic.

“Whether you are a new or returning student, we are so grateful that you are here,” Oldham said.

The online event, which is live-streamed on YouTube, will continue through the week.

Enrollment in spring semester classes is ongoing. Click here to find open courses. To contact City College for any assistance or questions, fill out a support request form here.

Itza Vilaboy, a Student Services assistant, went over some important deadlines and contact information students should have.

“It is really important that you turn in your FASFA or dream act applications early to follow up with any verification document that may be requested of you,” Vilaboy.

She shared that Live support from the Financial Aid Office is available on Zoom by clicking here. City College’s school code for FASFA is 001273.

Sasha Knox, job placement coordinator, explained the resources the Transfer and Career Center offers and suggested that students start to plan for their future goals.

“Now is truly the time to start thinking of that transfer process,” Knox said, “to begin getting those appointments and to make sure your applications and information is ready to go.” 

The job board is another benefit offered that can be used by any City College students or community members. Click here for more details.

City’s disAbility support programs and services (DSPS) continues to serve students during online instruction. Documentation is not needed to fill out the application but will be required to fully register. Click here for more information.

“If you find yourself struggling in any kind of way, shape or form, reach out to your professor and let them know that you are struggling,” Oldham said.

Free food available on campus tomorrow  

Hunger Action Day is tomorrow, from 12-2 p.m. in Lot P8, which is behind the LRC.

The event is a partnership with Feeding San Diego to offer free bags and boxes of food.

Click here to sign up for this drive-up event that is open to all students, classified professionals, faculty and community members of San Diego City College.