BREAKING: Police activity causes three SDUSD campuses, City College to close

Students are to remain off school grounds for safety

Custom Google Map of closed San Diego high schools on April 13

In-person classes for students at three downtown high schools — San Diego High School, East Village Middle College High School and Garfield High School — were moved online Tuesday due to police activity in the area. Google Maps screenshot

Gabriel Schneider, Editor-in-Chief

San Diego Unified School District closed San Diego High, East Village Middle College High and Garfield High school today due to police activity, wrote the district in a tweet.   

San Diego City College also closed its campus according to a tweet from the San Diego Community College District.

“Early this morning, after consultation with the San Diego Police Department, we made the difficult decision to close our school campus for the day,” wrote Francisca Del Carmen, principal of SDHS, in a letter to families that was posted on Instagram.  

Today marks the second day San Diego Unified School District returned to in-person instruction. 

A pursuit that began in National City led to a standoff between police and suspects at San Diego High School Monday night according to police.

“Two suspects fled from the vehicle armed with an apparent rifle and one handgun that was able to be seen,” said Lieutenant Matt Dobbs from the San Diego Police Department in a press conference this morning. “They eventually barricaded themselves inside of a trash dumpster on the campus.”

SDCCD announced on Livesafe, its community safety app, at 10:15 a.m. that the standoff at the high school ended but campuses will remain closed while law enforcement officials conduct their investigation. 

Will update the story when more information comes.