City College honors class of 2021 with virtual ceremony

The ceremony begins at 5 p.m. on May 28

Drive-thru+graduation

Gabriel Schneider

An unidentified City College student celebrates at the Drive-Thru Graduation event on May 21. Photo by Gabriel Schneider

Will Mauriz, Multimedia Journalist

For the San Diego City College’s graduating class of 2021, one more occasion to smile is coming soon. 

City College will honor its graduates with a virtual ceremony on May 28 through the site Marching Orders, an online presentation platform. The event will begin at 5 p.m.

Signs congratulate graduates art the drive-thru graduation ceremony
Signs congratulate graduates art the drive-thru graduation ceremony on May 21. Photo by Gabriel Schneider

For students and their families, it will provide an opportunity to celebrate the hard work and reflect successes beyond adversity. 

“I appreciate how difficult it was, especially through Covid, to have something to concentrate on other than the disaster happening around me,” graduate Donald Nicholson told City Times Media’s Devon Doane at the drive-thru graduation event last Friday.

Due to continuing state restrictions on large gatherings, there is a hold on this year’s in-person commencement ceremony for the second successive year, according to the City College website.

This year’s graduation ceremony will feature a class of 2021 graduate, Nicole Marrhay Pascua Delacruz, singing the National Anthem.

In acknowledgment of social justice, equity and inclusion, there will be the singing of the Black National Anthem by community member, Sterling Ramsey.  

City College ASL Professor, Melanie Nakaji, will provide sign language interpretation for both anthems.