VIDEO: City College Library reopens to students

The story was featured in this week’s edition of Newscene

City College Library

The second floor of the San Diego City College Learning Resource Center is opened indoors exclusively to students by appointment. Photo by Philip Salata/City Times Media

Will Mauriz, Multimedia Journalist

To watch the full espiode of Newscene, click here.

The taxi yellow doors of the Learning Resource Center Library reopened on September 20 to registered San Diego City College students.

The Library’s second floor is exclusively opened indoors with a limited maximum capacity with access only by reservation from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

A simplified appointment system is your ticket in, with verification of a recent negative COVID-19 test or vaccination record to access the study areas with free WIFI access, reference materials, printing center, and computer stations.

To get a reservation go to the library reservation page.

For those who deal with the difficulty of distractions while studying at home or internet issues, the library can provide needed reprieve.

“My experience at the library has been great thus far,” said Katherine Perez Diaz, a first-year Chicano studies major. “I am a mom of a toddler. Getting this quiet time is greatly appreciated.”

The library continues to offer robust remote learning resources to meet students’ needs.

“During the campus shutdown, the library has grown its database from 30,000 to approximately 90,000 books, articles and resources,” librarian Sandra Pesce said.

Pesce introduced the multiple new services offered over the pandemic, including the Flipster Magazine service, which allows online access to 49 magazines that students can read from cover to cover.

She credits the increase in resources available at no cost to students with subscription-based memberships.