Knights soccer team dominate second half to earn the win

City’s women soccer shut-out Grossmont college

City womens soccer team playing on the field against Grossmont

Will

City

Will Mauriz, Multimedia Journalist

The San Diego City College women’s soccer team took the field for its pregame warm-up on Sept. 28 clapping in rhythm, flashing smiles and laughing excitedly.

The rhythm continued as trucks and cars blared their horns in support as they passed the Knights’ home field and merged onto the 5 freeway.

Each time, City’s athletes reciprocated in cheers.

The momentum of the Knights (2-1) carried through the game, as they upended Grossmont College, ending with a 3-0 victory.

The Griffins (3-2-1) entered the game on top of the Pacific Coast Athletic conference.

“Great teamwork we had all around,” said freshman center-mid Fatima Valle (San Pasqual).

“(It) felt amazing to do this for my team.”

The game was very physical throughout, as both teams pushed and shoved for positioning.

The first of the three City goals was made by freshman Kiki Josephson (Patrick Henry), with the assist from midfielder Sydney Sanchez (Torrey Pines).

Josephson proudly attributed the great game day to hard work and strong communication.

About 15 minutes later, the second goal came from center-mid Valle, a freshman Kinesiology major.

Toward the end of the game, Sanchez continued City’s momentum and put the game out of reach for Grossmont with a successful penalty kick.

Grossmont had consistent shots on goal, but a great performance by Knights goalkeeper Chloe Sevilla (Steele Canyon), who had six saves, secured the shut-out against the Griffins, who had 17 goals in only six games so far this season.