Energy of Knights women’s soccer soaring

City soccer can cement its place at second in the conference today

Knights womens soccer team huddles

Knights women’s soccer team huddles up after practice on October 14. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

Will Mauriz, Sports Editor

With eight games left in the fall season, the San Diego City College women’s soccer team has hit a new gear.

The Knights (6-1, 5-1 in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference) offense has been nearly impossible to stop, scoring 9 goals in a single game against Imperial Valley on  Oct. 12.

“Our style of play is very specific and a lot of teams can’t handle it,” freshman midfielder Anais Thompson (Poway) said.

For City, it was only a matter of time. From Zoom workouts three times a week to smaller cohort practicing over the summer, the team was working out hard but never together.

Now united on the field, the Knights are able to unleash.

“Our chemistry is our biggest strength,” forward and first-year player Sachiko Kure (Bonita Vista) said.

The chemistry can be found all over the team from offense to defense, especially with their goalie. Chloe Sevilla (Steele Canyon) has been a standout with four shutout games and eight saves so far this season.

She leads the PCAC in most games played and with the most shutouts.

Leading the offense has been freshman forwards Tessa Fernandez and Kure, who have each scored four goals a piece.

“At the beginning of the season, we were not putting up the numbers we needed, but now we are finally putting up the numbers we deserve,” Thompson said.

Added freshman defender Kiki Josephson (Patrick Henry): ”We want to be aggressive and want to win.”

The team is tied for second in the PCAC with Southwestern College, and City plays the Jaguars for stand-alone second today at 1 p.m.

“Being in outright second means everything, especially going into the game against Southwestern College and Mesa College,” Thompson said.