City College student awarded prestigious scholarship worth $55K

Jeannette Mayo Gallegos hopes to use Jack Kent Cooke funds to achieve her goal of working to combat human trafficking

City College student Jeannette Mayo Gallegos delivers a speech after receiving the Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship at Citys 31st annual scholarship awards ceremony on May 10, 2022. City College Flickr

City College student Jeannette Mayo Gallegos delivers a speech after receiving the Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship at City’s 31st annual scholarship awards ceremony on May 10, 2022. City College Flickr

Jakob McWhinney, Managing Editor

City Times - Spring 2022This story appeared in the latest print edition of City Times. 

For much of her life, San Diego City College student Jeannette Mayo Gallegos woke at 3 a.m. to cross the border to get to school.

When she returned home to the Baja California town of El Florido, she often studied until midnight and then woke just hours later to do it all again. 

The experience weighed on her and she struggled with burnout. But looking back she acknowledges it was an important part of her journey and is grateful for having supportive parents.

Gallegos, a 2022 recipient of the Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, was awarded $55,000 at City’s 31st annual scholarship ceremony on May 10th.

The scholarship is meant to provide financial aid and comprehensive educational advising to exceptional community college students who are transferring to a four-year university.

Gallegos was one of 1,200 community college students selected in 2022 on the basis of financial need, academic ability, achievement, persistence and leadership.

Gallegos said she was overwhelmed by the news and incredibly grateful. 

She said the funds will help her achieve her goal of eventually working in cybersecurity, focusing on combatting issues like human trafficking. She plans to study computer science or a related field, potentially at Cal Berkeley where she was recently accepted.

She believes education is important, but also that it should be more widely available.

“I hope to one day live in a world where education is accessible to everyone, and everyone has the opportunity to challenge themselves,” she said.

Meanwhile, she said people who have the privilege of getting an education should focus on “giving back to our communities and uplifting the voices of those from disadvantaged backgrounds.”