City College farm to sell fresh fruit, vegetables weekly

Downtown campus is home to an urban farm called Seeds@City

Seeds%40City

Candise Berry

Since 2010, the agriculture department at San Diego City College has worked a vegetable and fruit production farm that serves as its outdoor laboratory for the sustainable agriculture program. Photo by Candise Berry

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

Fresh fruit and vegetables grown at San Diego City College will be sold weekly on campus starting this fall.

The Seeds at City Urban Farms stand will be located at the main farm site between the Learning Resource Center and the Saville Theater, next to parking lot 8. Only cash payment will be accepted.

Seeds@City is located next to parking lot 8. Photo by Kenneth Jaimes

The new farm stand will be open Wednesdays from noon to 2 p.m. Offerings may vary from week to week, but a recent email announced dragon fruit, pear, passionfruit, butter bean, honeydew, squash, fig, pomegranates and tomatoes were available. 

Since 2010, City’s agriculture department has worked a vegetable and fruit production farm that serves as its outdoor laboratory for the sustainable agriculture program.

In fall 2022, the agriculture program is offering classes on sustainable agriculture principles, vegetable production, agricultural plant science and plant propagation.

AGRI 100 is also available online for students interested in learning to grow their own fruits and veggies. 

The farm also provides field trips for children at the San Diego City College Child Development Center for lessons on farming and food. 

Service learning is offered Monday through Thursday during the academic year. Contact Erin McConnell at [email protected] for current volunteer hours and details on volunteering.