City College student media finalist for national awards

The Pinnacles honor the best two- and four-year college media organizations

Candise Berry

City Times Media won three first place team awards from the San Diego Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists earlier this summer. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times Media

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

City Times Media, the student news platform of San Diego City College, is a finalist for four 2022 Pinnacle Awards.

The national awards, presented by the College Media Association, honors the best two- and four-year college media organizations and individual work, according to the CMA website.

CTM’s partners are finalists for two-year student media organization of the year, two-year TVadio station of the year, two-year radio station of the year, and two-year feature magazine of the year.

While City Times focuses on daily news coverage of the campus and its community, the CityScene staff pick a theme related to arts and culture for each semester’s publication.

“(In fall 2021), we decided for CityScene to follow a passion, which is music,” City Times Editor-in-Chief Kathryn Gray said. “We went out in the city and each student had a different story. “Our work was creative and visually compelling. The readers were really receptive to it.”

The platform of City Times Media includes award-winning student-produced digital news, TV news, magazine, radio/podcast and indie film, according to sdcitytimes.com. All of the work is produced as learning experiences in courses in City’s Digital Journalism and Radio, Television, and Film programs.

CTM 2021 Pinnacles
City Times Media last won first place Pinnacles for both two-year college media outlet and news website and two-year in 2021. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times Media

CTM last won first place Pinnacles for both two-year college media outlet and news website and two-year in 2021.

The Pinnacle announcement comes after CTM won 14 awards from the local chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists in July 2022. Those awards honored the best work of the year by two- and four-year programs in the San Diego region, all of which competed against each other directly.

As a team, CTM was recognized by judges for its exceptional work on its website and TV newscast. Individual and small groups of students were also honored in a number of other categories.

Pinnacle winners will be announced at a ceremony on October 27 at the Grand Hyatt Washington during Mediafest22: The Fall National College Media Convention.