Study: SDCCD career education programs add $1.6B boost to local economy

Programs like cybersecurity, child development, cosmetology and photography impact region in drastic, positive way

Students walk past hanging banners showcasing City’s different career programs, alongside their median salary. Photo by Kenneth Jaimes/City Times Media

Kenneth Jaimes, Multimedia Journalist

Career education programs offered within the San Diego Community College District have an economic impact of $1.6 billion in the San Diego region, according to a study done by Lightcast. 

According to the study, the district’s career education programs, which are available at each of its four colleges, impact the San Diego region by adding income to the economy and providing support to more than 19,000 jobs.

Some of the career education programs offered here at San Diego City College include cybersecurity, child development, cosmetology and photography.

Lightcast focused on the more than 300 career education certificate and degree programs at the colleges in the study. These programs amount to about 25% of every course section that is offered. 

The study shows that for every dollar a student invests into these programs and their education, they will see a return of $6.20 in increased lifetime earnings. 

“We know that our career education programs benefit our students,” SDCCD Chancellor Carlos Cortez said in a press release. “This study demonstrates that they also provide an economic benefit to the region.”

Taxpayers, who provided the funding for the programs, will see a return of $4.23 for every dollar that is invested, according to the study. These taxpayers are expecting more than $408 million in tax revenue in return for the approximately  $110 million in funding they provided.

To learn more about these careers and how to enroll at City, you can visit the San Diego City College careers website.