City Veterans Service Center welcomes students and staff to new home

VSC staff educates attendees on resources available to Veterans on campus

Student Service Technician Alyssa Antonio does an interview with City Times reporters at the meet and greet. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College’s Veterans Service Center hosted a meet and greet on Sept. 27 to welcome staff and students. 

Attendees met the Veteran’s Service Center staff and school certifying officials in building M-101. 

“We have been slowly opening since the summer because of COVID-19,” student service technician Alyssa Antonio said. “We want to encourage more students to use our resources and know that we are here.”

The VSC Meet and Greet was accompanied by a live DJ, free gourmet sandwiches, cookies, chips and drinks. 

Free raffle tickets were offered to attendees, giving them the chance to win prizes such as T-shirts, lunch boxes, and bookstore and amazon gift cards. 

The Veterans Service Center has learning spaces, computer access, academic counseling, benefits information, peer support, mentoring, printing and copying services. 

The center also offers free coffee and snacks, and a microwave and refrigerator are available for use. Students in need of supplies are encouraged to come in and grab free index cards, writing utensils, highlighters, sticky notes, stress balls and more. 

The VSC staff understands what it’s like for veterans because they all have military experience or military spouses. If you are a veteran student enrolled in a minimum of nine units and using benefits, you are eligible to apply for a job as a work-study. 

The new office hours for the VSC are from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Fridays.