Test proctoring, Native American History Month discussed at City College Council

College Council evaluates, discusses relevant issues to the school

City College’s test proctoring center is an area where tests can be administered with equity in mind for those who need more time to complete exams. sdcity.edu photo

Shamere Grimes, Multimedia Reporter

During the pandemic, as learning was pushed online at San Diego City College, so too were the challenges of serving students taking tests virtually.

“We quickly learned that Zoom was not designed for proctoring and so there were all sorts of questions that lingered,” said Paul Young, professor and co-chair of the math department at City College.

Young represented City College’s test proctoring center at the City College Council meeting last week.

The council came together on Nov. 8 to discuss a range of issues and projects that can improve the experience students have on campus, ranging from support for students who need extra help on tests to the celebration of Native American History Month.

The test proctoring center is an area where tests can be administered with equity in mind for those who need more time to complete exams.

This project was conceived in summer 2021 when disAbility Support Programs & Services approached the Math Department at City College about creating a testing center to serve the community. 

During the meeting, Young gave the members an overview of how it serves students.

Ricky Shabazz also made a point of noting November is Native American History Month. City College acknowledged that the campus sits on the traditional land of the Kumeyaay Nation.

“We certainly appreciate all of the efforts that went into our land acknowledgment,” Shabazz said.

The acknowledgment sits at the bottom of the Office of Student Equity section of the college website at sdcity.edu. See it here.

The full meeting can be viewed on the college’s YouTube channel.