City College job fair provides employment, resource leads for veteran students

Event part of Veterans Day-related activities on campus

Michelle Berger, a representative of Feeding San Diego, provides useful resources to veterans at the City College job fair on Nov. 10. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times Media

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College partnered with the Employment Committee of San Diego to show appreciation to veterans by hosting a job fair for students seeking employment and useful resources the day before Veterans Day. 

Students signed in with employers from the FBI, Amazon, Goodwill and local real estate agencies. Representatives of USD were also there and welcomed students in search of employment on the Linda Vista campus. 

“We are hiring part time, full time and flex, which is new this year,” Amazon staffing coordinator Jaime Perez said, “because it allows the candidate to pick their own schedule week-to-week while only having to work a minimum of three shifts a month to keep the job.”

Representatives gave out bags to collect business cards, pamphlets, water bottles and stickers. A $100 gas gift card was offered as a raffle prize, along with other goodies. Students ate free gourmet sandwiches and drinks.

The Carte Hotel located in Downtown San Diego is accepting applications for food runner, hostess and manager positions. It offered benefits that include fitness center discounts, medical insurance, dental insurance and a travel program. 

The Greater San Diego Association of Realtors answered questions about attaining a real estate license. The organization hosts events regularly where students can receive discounted ticket prices to attend. 

“There are other jobs available if you don’t want to be in the sales part of it like coordinators, assistance, and office managers,” Vice President Charles Cooper said. 

Michelle Berger of Feeding San Diego displayed pictures of families helped by the charity. She also offered useful information that could be used to help the community. Feeding San Diego is accepting donations to feed the homeless. 

Items needed most include peanut butter, nuts, ready-to-eat soups, chili, fruit cups, dried fruit, granola bars, oatmeal and cereal. For more information, contact [email protected].