City College athletes celebrate holidays with annual Shop with a Jock spree

With Knights athletes by their sides, 14 kids spent $100 gift cards

Zach Derhem, a City College baseball player, helps Manuel Ramirez pick out his favorite toys at the Shop with a Jock event at Target in Mission Valley on Dec. 10. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times Media

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

For nearly 23 years, San Diego City College athletes have dedicated themselves to the campus tradition of Shop with a Jock, which to them symbolizes giving back to their community and giving local youth a Christmas to remember. 

Fourteen children were selected for the shopping spree and given $100 to shop at the Target store in Mission Valley. Free donuts and fully-stocked shelves awaited the kids as they teamed up with Knights athletes dressed in red jerseys. 

“Isn’t this cool stuff cool,” baseball player Zach Derham said as Manuel Ramirez stood undecided by the Lego section.

After a long debate, Ramirez filled his cart with toy cars along with a toy spider. 

A Rubik’s Cube was young Alejandro Gurrola’s first pick as he bounced a blue ball down the aisles. 

First-time volunteers Jalen Cameron and Brock Brass smiled for the camera with young Jal Jok as they browsed through the electronics and toy sections.

With only $20 left, Jok’s final decision was a tye-dyed Groovy Wubble Bubble Ball. 

Upon checkout, a few kids went over the $100 limit, but the athletes had no problem covering the extra amount. 

“These young men are proud to give back to the community and spread human compassion in a world that needs it right now,” City College baseball coach Chris Brown said.