City College to host basketball celebration for sophomores, Black History Month

Outreach, Athletics among the program that collaborate on the community event

The first 50 people to attend then men’s and women’s games on Feb. 15 will receive a free City College hat. Photo by Joel Nevarez/City Times Media

Joel Nevarez, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College will celebrate Black History Month and its sophomores athletes with a night full of basketball and giveaways at the Harry West Gym on Feb.15 starting at 4:30 p.m.

Both the men’s and the women’s basketball teams will be in action in a doubleheader.

The Knights men will take on Palomar College before the women play Southwestern College. 

The first 50 people to attend each game will receive a free City College hat.

The event will also have tacos and aguas frescas for the first 150 people in attendance.

The inspiration for the hat comes from the San Diego Padres City Connect Jersey from last season, according to Clarissa Padilla, City’s acting outreach coordinator.

“The hats are my little desire to connect with the Padres,” Padilla said. “We’re here in Downtown and we don’t connect with the Downtown atmosphere in life enough.

“It reflects both, you know, Downtown life as well as our athletics here at City.”

The event is a collaboration of multiple departments and programs including Athletics, Outreach, Exercise Science, and Student Affairs. The goal is to encourage the communities around City College to feel welcomed. 

“I’m interested in inviting the community at large, to feel comfortable coming to San Diego City College for games, for any community events, for resources,” Padilla said. “We want you to know that you’re welcomed on our campus and that there’s a future for you guys to experience.” 

This is one of many events happening in celebration of Black History Month at San Diego City College.

For more information on upcoming events click here.