City College construction is granted additional funds

SDCCD Board of Trustees approves more money for City College buildings.

City College Construction

Mike Madriaga

Construction of the A, D and T buildings was expected to cost just over $50 million. 2017 Photo by Mike Madriaga.

David Ahumada, Visuals Editor

An extra $5 million for change orders and claims related to the A, D and T Buildings construction project was approved by the San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees at a meeting at the district office on Sept. 13.

“The cost associated with the increase are related to the increasing cost of materials, work associated with seismically upgrading the buildings and unforeseen conditions,” wrote Christopher Manis, vice chancellor of facilities management, in an email.

The additional funding will not take the project off of schedule, according to district officials.

“It will not change the availability of the buildings,” Manis wrote. “City College will be using the buildings during the spring semester.”

The agenda item stated, “The contractor has encountered too many setbacks, designs revisions, and unforeseen changes. The contractor has submitted over 800 change orders and 100 claims of compensation. The District has proposed to resolve change orders and claims for  $5,831,499.”

“This is not unusual given significant increases in materials costs since the project was originally budgeted,” wrote Jack Beresford, director of communications and public relations for SDCCD, in an email.

The additional funds, Manis wrote,  “… will come from the reserves we keep for such events.”

Funding for the project came from voter-approved propositions S in 2002 and N in 2006. The bonds gave the district $1.6 billion for approximately 125 projects throughout all of its district locations throughout the county.