UPDATE: City College student suspected of sexual assault apprehended

The suspect, Jeff Hanze, was apprehended Oct. 29, SDCCD police reported

Jeffrey D. Hanze

The San Diego Police Department has issued a warrant for the arrest of Jeffrey Hanze, a suspect in a sexual assault that occurred off campus earlier this month. San Diego Community College District Police Department courtesy photo.

Jonny Rico, Editor-in-Chief

Oct. 29, 12:35 p.m.:

Jeffrey D. Hanze, a San Diego Community College District student, has been arrested according to an email alert sent by the district.

San Diego ABC affiliate 10News reported that the arrest was made at approximately 3:45 a.m. on Oct. 29 in Los Angeles County by sheriff deputies. No other information about the arrest was made public.

Oct. 28, 7:55 p.m.: A San Diego Community College District student is suspected of a sexual assault that occurred off campus earlier this month, according to a safety alert issued by the district on Oct. 28.

The safety alert sent to students via email said that San Diego Police Department issued an arrest warrant for Jeffrey D. Hanze, 55, who is a student at San Diego City College and San Diego Miramar College.

The San Diego Community College District Police Department will increase patrols at the City and Miramar campuses as a precaution, although the alert said law enforcement does not believe there is any threat to a specific campus. SDPD had previously described Hanze as “armed and dangerous” on Twitter on Oct. 26.

According to The San Diego Union-Tribune, Hanze is accused of breaking into a Pacific Beach home on Oct. 1 and sexually assaulting a 28-year-old woman who was asleep inside the Chalcedony Street residence. When the victim woke up, the suspect fled the scene.

Hanze is described as a six-foot, white male weighing 185 pounds with blue eyes. He may be driving a 2016 silver or gray Hyundai Elantra with California license plate 7SZD170.

Anyone who sees Hanze is encouraged to call 911, SDCCD Police at 619-388-6405, SDPD at 619-531-2000 or Crime Stoppers 888-580-TIPS (8477).

Updates:

Oct. 29, noon: This post and its original headline, “City College student suspected of sexual assault,” was updated to reflect new information shared San Diego Community College District Police Department.