Signs of life at new City College buildings

Admissions Office set to reopen on Nov. 5 in its new A building office

A+building

The A building is getting its first tenants starting Nov. 2. By David Ahumada, City Times.

David Ahumada, Visual Editor

Campus renovations on the A, D and T buildings have finished and there is official activity in one of the newly completed San Diego City College buildings.

The admissions office announced on Nov. 1 that the department would be closed to students from Nov. 2-5 while it moved into its new location in the A building.

Students are asked to use the Mesa College or Miramar College admissions office if they require services during those dates.

“The buildings are available for departments to start moving in,” City College president Ricky Shabazz said in a phone interview in late September, “(but it) depends on the size of the department.”

Christopher Manis, vice chancellor of facilities management, said a majority of those moves can be expected after fall classes end.

“The move in for the A, D and T buildings will happen during winter 2018,” Manis wrote in an email on Oct. 25.

Departments like the disability support program and services department reported that they will relocate to room A-113 in the A building starting January 2019.

Departments that do not work directly with students are expected to be the first ones to make the move into the new buildings, according to an email from Denise Whisenhunt, vice president of student services at City College.