Exhibit raises mental health awareness at City College

The Send Silence Packing exhibit has traveled to different college campuses for 12 years

Uyen Pham

The Send Silence Packing exhibit, seen here from 2020, showcased donated backpacks of students who died by suicide in an effort to encourage hope and awareness of resources. Photo by Uyen Pham/City Times

Uyen Pham, Staff Writer

The Student Health Center, in collaboration with a non-profit organization Active Minds, brought the Send Silence Packing exhibit to San Diego City College’s Curran Plaza last Thursday.

The Send Silence Packing exhibit has traveled to different college campuses for 12 years.

Send Silence Packing exhibit
Chris LeFall
The Send Silence Packing exhibit was designed to inspire actions around suicide prevention. Photo by Chris LeFall/City Times

The exhibit showcased donated backpacks of students who died by suicide and personal stories from loved ones to raise awareness about the impact of suicide.

“People can come and read the stories and also see the messages of hope throughout the display, because ultimately we really want to inspire actions around suicide prevention,” said Erin Simon, a Send Silence Packing tour coordinator.

Students’ reactions showed the effectiveness of the exhibit.

“I hope students know there are available resources for them to seek help and have a little hope,” said Moya Grandison, a student at City College.

There were resources available to provide help and change the conversations around mental health available at the event. 

“It prompts people to have conversations that they were nervous to have before and it equips people to have the tool they need to initiate conversations,” Simon said.

Students could also stop by the Send Silence Packing booth and write encouraging words and messages to peers who are struggling with mental health.

Suicide Lifeline: If you or someone you know may be struggling with suicidal thoughts, you can call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) any time of day or night, text COURAGE to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741 or chat online.