City College president hosts virtual town hall to address COVID-19

The president joined students, staff to talk about current actions by San Diego City College

City Town Hall on Instagram

Because Zoom has a capacity of 300 viewers, many students were unable to watch the virtual town hall. It was later shared on the City College Instagram account as well to accommodate the high student interest. Instagram screenshot

Melisa Cabello-Cuahutle, Managing Editor

Following social distance while still trying to keep students informed, San Diego City College President Ricky Shabazz hosted a virtual town hall to address issues regarding COVID-19 on Wednesday, March 18. 

“Our No. 1 (concern) is your health and safety,” Shabazz said at the beginning of the hour-long town hall, which was broadcast on Zoom.

Student Health Center Directors Dotti Cordell and Leslie Easton were present to address health concerns. They talked about the importance of maintaining a healthy diet and exercise, as well as having a healthy sleep routine. Beyond physical health, students were reminded to also take care of their mental health.

Easton talked about finding a space safe in your house where you could just focus on “you.”

Alongside Shabazz, Dean of Student Affairs Marciano Perez and Associated Student Government President Oscar Rendon were also present to address student’s questions.

There are currently some financial aid checks on campus, but students should not return to get it. If one of the checks is yours, you will receive an email.

So far, commencement is not canceled, although Shabazz mentioned some adjustments might be needed if a ceremony were to happen. Shabazz also opened the possibility of having students who are graduating this year walk in future ceremonies.

According to Perez, food distributions have been stopped but the school is working on compiling resources for students and faculty.

Several students asked if tuition, fees, and textbook and parking costs will be refunded, but there is no information available yet from Shabazz.

In response to a question posted in the chat, it was clarified that students who are part of athletic programs will not be able to train on-site.

For now, students who don’t have reliable internet service or a computer should consider downloading the LiveSafe App, which gives safety updates without using significant data.

Additionally, more information on when students and faculty will return to on-site classes will be available after spring break. 

Zoom has a capacity of 300 users, which was maxed out a few minutes into the town hall. This led to an unknown number of students not being able to watch the town hall live, although many were able to follow along later on Instagram.

Campus officials said a recording of the town hall would be available later on the SSDCC YouTube channel. It is also currently available on a City College Instagram story, although it will be automatically removed on Thursday if it is not saved.

Are you a student who had a question that wasn’t answered? Send an email to [email protected] or leave a comment below.