City College, San Diego Region Colleges to host black forum

The Zoom meeting is scheduled for Friday, June 5 from 3-4:30 p.m.

Black forum on Instagram

The San Diego City College men’s basketball team was among those who shared about the black forum planned for this Friday. Instagram screenshot

Gabriel Schneider, Staff Writer

In a coordinated effort, San Diego City College is joining several other local community colleges in hosting a black student forum in response to the deaths and disparate treatment of black people in the United States. 

“The student services team has scheduled a healing circle for students,” City College President Ricky Shabazz wrote in a tweet. “People are hurting.”

Details of the event are being shared on social media by the participating programs, which also includes Mesa, Miramar, Southwestern, Cuyamaca and Grossmont colleges.

The Knights men’s basketball team invited family, friends and allies who support the black community.

“This space has been created to hear from the collective of black voices who are dealing with the continuous racism and racial trauma roaring in our nation,” it shared on its official Instagram account.

The forum was created to be a space for black students to process and heal, the official flyer said. It is also open to others who want to listen, learn and support.

“These are difficult times, and we encourage you to … spread the word for this timely and important event,” wrote Oscar Rendon, the former Associated Student Government president, wrote on Instagram.