SDCCD, City College classes to remain online for remainder of academic year

Announcement made in advance of a virtual forum by Chancellor Constance Carroll

City College, March 16. 2020

Vicky Pineda

Classes at City College, pictured shortly after campus closed in March 2020, will remain online through the end of the spring 2021 term. Vicky Pineda/City Times

Gabriel Schneider, Managing Editor

The San Diego Community College District, one of the largest in California, will remain online with its instruction through the academic year, including the January 2021 intersession and spring 2021 semester.

“We must ensure that the current public health crisis and economic crisis do not prevent our students from making progress towards their educational goals,” wrote Carroll in a news release sent by email to City Times. “The community and the workforce are counting on our ability to continue delivering a high-quality education and effective student outcomes.”

If the situation allows, there will be exceptions for certain programs that are more difficult to offer virtually, according to the release. This would include hybrid classes for certain science and clinical laboratory sections, career classes with technical components and classes for first responders. All will follow health protocols.

The district’s highest priority is the health and safety of its students and employees, Carroll wrote.

“It seems incredible that we are now in our sixth month of dealing with the coronavirus COVID-19,” Carroll added. “I do not believe anyone could have predicted the longevity of this crisis.”