State chancellor discusses plans to reopen campuses

California community colleges will have smaller classes and offer more hybrid courses

Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley speaks about reopening community college campuses across California. Screenshot from Zoom

Will Mauriz, Multimedia Journalist

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s office hosted a statewide press conference with student media on March 25 providing an update for all community colleges of California. 

“Yes, we are planning for reopening community colleges,” state Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley said.

Oakley stressed that schools need to take precautions in preparations for in-person classes, which must follow CDC guidelines. 

These developments are a result of COVID-19 vaccinations opening up for all ages 16 and over on April 15. The website provided in the meeting to set up your appointment for vaccination is myturn.ca.gov

“Plans to reopen in the fall of in-person classes include intercollegiate sports,” Oakley said.

The classes described will be smaller and schools will offer more hybrid courses. 

Oakley explained that due to COVID-19 and the accompanying economic factors, enrollments for new college students have dropped. Re-enrollments for existing students in the summer and fall have greatly decreased. 

More help is available for students interested in summer and fall enrollment and it is not too late to apply for financial aid.

Oakley’s announcements covered the financial assistance coming to California community colleges as part of the American Rescue Act Plan now signed into law. The bill provides $23 billion of COVID-related assistance allocated for the California community colleges. 

Half of the funds are reserved for emergency student grants, which will go directly to students who are struggling. The second half will go toward reopening plans in the fall. 

Oakley stressed that California community colleges need to be unified against the recent violence targeting Asian Americans across the country.

“We need to be very clear and I want to be very clear and I hope that you can echo that clarity,” Oakley said. “We cannot tolerate anti-Asian or Pacific (Islander) sentiment action or violence in any shape or form.”

Grants will be provided to those who fill out the FAFSA or self-certify their eligibility through their school. For more information on financial aid visit StayEnrolled.com and icanaffordcollege.com.