Masks not required at SDCCD, City College starting Dec. 19

A significant drop in COVID-19-related illnesses led to change in policy

David Rojas, left, and Raymond Butler Jr., right, serve gourmet sandwiches and beverages to veterans at the San Diego City College veteran job fair on Nov. 10, 2022. Photo by Candise Berry/City Times Media

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

Masks will be optional on San Diego Community College District campuses, including San Diego City College, starting Monday, Dec. 19, officials announced on the SDCCD website.

The decision comes as San Diego County has reported a significant drop in COVID-19-related illnesses.

“With the availability of improved vaccinations and medications, along with a sharp decline in hospitalizations, conditions are allowing us to drop the mask requirement at this time,” Chancellor Carlos Cortez wrote in a press release on the district website.

Faculty and staff of San Diego City College also received an email on Nov. 7 from the district informing them that measurements of the coronavirus in wastewater indicated the lowest levels of COVID-19 since last winter. 

To further ensure safety, facilities have been improved with enhanced air filtration and circulation, the email said. 

With the fall semester coming to an end on Dec.17, the announcement will allow classes during SDCCD’s January intersession and the spring semester to proceed without any mask requirements. 

San Diego State University made masks optional on Oct. 10. UC San Diego will require masks indoors through Dec. 16.