City College basketball coach ranked

Mitch Charlens led the Knights to more than 30 wins in the past two seasons.

Mitch+Charlens

Mitch Charlens cuts down the net after the Knights defeat Ventura College to advance to the 2018 Elite Eight State championship game. Photo courtesy of Knights Athletics

Marissa Gonzales, Sports Editor

Knights Sports RoundupMen’s basketball coach Mitch Charlens was named one of the top 25 junior college coaches throughout the country by Basketball Times. Charlens led the Knights to more than 30 wins in the past two seasons.

“I’ve simply been blessed with amazing student-athletes and incredible coaches that have decided to work with me,” Charlens wrote in an email. “In my 15th year as the men’s head basketball coach at City College, I’m proud that we are known for our tradition of transferring our student-athletes and winning.”

The Knights won the state championship in 2017. The 2016-17 championship team was the most successful team in the school’s history, making it the Knights’ first championship. They have appeared in state championship games two years in a row.

City College’s season starts later this fall, with its first game against Barstow in the SDCC Invitational scheduled for Nov. 2 at Harry West Gym. Tipoff is 3 p.m.

Women’s volleyball

The Knights top 25 ranking in the California Community College Women’s Volleyball Coaches Association was short-lived.

After entering at No. 24 on Sept. 10, City College fell out a week later thanks to a pair of losses.

The Knights (8-3) won on Sept. 12 against Rio Hondo. Isabelle LaRoe had 11 kills and 18 digs. Kareemah Hopkins had 24 assists and 18 digs.

City College then dropped two consecutive matches to Chaffey and Long Beach.

The Knights’ next game is Sept. 19 against Cerritos at home at 5 p.m.

Men’s cross country

The men’s cross country team finished 7th overall at the SoCal preview meet on Sept. 14.

Sophomores Edwin Mejia and Andres Zamudio finished in the top 25. They ended at 18th and 24th, respectively.

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams will race at CSU San Bernardino for the San Bernardino Challenge meet on Sept. 22.