City College Knights adjust to beat Imperial Valley

Knights claim victory as they fight to stay in the playoff race

Knights basketball against Imperial Valley College

Vicky Pineda

City College center Legend Stamps dunks the ball against Imperial Valley College in front of the Knight bench. Photo by Vicky Pineda/City Times

Vicky Pineda, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The San Diego City College men’s basketball team recovered from a tough loss to first-place Southwestern College with a lopsided 103-60 victory over Imperial Valley College at Harry West Gym on Wednesday.

With four games left in the regular season, the Knights  (19-5, 10-2 in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference) sit solidly in second place in the league. 

“Even though we let Southwestern get us both times, we still want to compete to get a top spot,” said Legend Stamps, who plays center for City College. “(We want to) compete at the highest level we possibly can.”

Against IVC, sophomore guard Victor Irhirhi scored 24 points with six rebounds and two assists. He was near-perfect from the floor, making 8-of-9 shots and going 3-of-3 from behind the three-point line. Sophomore NaShom Carter scored 12 points, while Stamps added 13 points with eight rebounds. 

Coach Charlins talks to City College team
Vicky Pineda
City College coach Mitch Charlins talks to the Knights during a timeout in the team’s game against Imperial Valley College. Photo by Vicky Pineda/City Times

Off to a rough start, the Knights had a hard time dealing with IVC’s zone defense. But City College adjusted and quickly turned the game around with a 19-2 run on its way to a 45-32 lead at halftime.

After the break, the Knights turned up the pressure on defense. 

“We just got to play in our intensity and not play on the same intensity as the other team,” said point guard Carter. “I’m just hoping we play (Southwestern) in the playoffs to get our revenge.”

The Knights will visit Miramar College (3-8) on Wednesday at 7 p.m. City’s next home game will be against Palomar College on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.