San Diego City College sports return to action

Knights fall in men’s soccer and volleyball, win in cross country

Knight soccer team battles for a ball

Will Mauriz

The Knight soccer team battles for a ball in the fall season opener against Orange Coast college on September 9, 2021. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

Will Mauriz, Sports Editor

San Diego City College students have a reason to cheer again this fall semester with sports returning to campus.

Student-athletes are finally able to showcase their skills to an audience after an extended shutdown.

“After almost two years since the pandemic hit City College, we have sports on campus with our first home game,” said Gustavo Celarie, the Knights sports information director.

Women’s volleyball and other indoor sports will have home games that will be viewable on YouTube live stream and outdoor sports such as cross-country and soccer will allow for in-person attendance.

City men fall short in soccer

The season home opener was a close battle between the Knights and Orange Coast College, with the Pirates winning 2-1 on Sept. 9. The game was tied at 1-1 at the half.

Knights women drop first volleyball match

After starting the season with a 2-0 record, the City College volleyball team had its first loss of the season, 3-2 against Rio Hondo College on Sept. 8. The match marks the Knights’ first home game since November 15, 2019 and can be watched via YouTube live stream.

City women’s cross country opens with win

The first women’s cross country track meet of the season on Sept. 3 ended with a first-place finish for the Knights at the Harry Griffen Park Quad track meet. City College’s Sofia Chernyak led the way, helping City with a first-place finish overall.