Knights volleyball edges out Imperial Valley, wins in 5

Match comes down to a fifth-set tiebreaker in favor of City College

Knights Volleyball plays at home match against Imperial Valley college on Oct. 20 Zoom screen-shot

Knights Volleyball plays at home match against Imperial Valley college on Oct. 20 /Zoom screen-shot

Will Mauriz, Sports Editor

Music blared and the lights of digital banners reflected off the polished wooden floors of Harry West Gymnasium as the City College women’s volleyball team celebrated snapping a five-match losing streak on Oct. 20.

The Knights stayed focused and energetic throughout the marathon match against Pacific Coast Athletic Conference rivals Imperial Valley College (7-9), winning in the deciding fifth set and ending with a 23-25, 25-15, 17-25, 25-17, 15-13 victory.

IVC took the first set in a close battle 25-23, however, the Knights stayed resilient with long points and returned the favor with consistent pressure breaking through with a heavy offense into the second set. 

Middle blocker Elizabeth Hunsaker (Coronado) led the team with 22 kills and two service aces, one of three players with 10 or more kills. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVT5_ETt_u7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

“All the girls have built confidence and to go out and play hard the rest of the season,” said co-captain freshman Ashley Davies (Burney, CA).

Davies showed a strong performance with 19 kills and two service aces.

Jadin Holland (Helix) led defensively with 38 digs.

Davies attributed the win to coach Dede Bodnar’s positive and ever-improving communication style.

“With six games left in the season, there is an opportunity to build momentum with this win”, Davies said.

City’s next game is on Oct. 22 against the San Diego Miramar Jets (0-8).