Fresh start for Knights women basketball

City ready to host first home tournament in almost two years

Knights women’s basketball the last practice before the second tourney of the season.

Knights women’s basketball get in one last practice before the second tourney of the season. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

Will Mauriz, Sports Editor

The Knights women’s basketball team’s midday practice wound down with targeted basketballs flying inbounds to alternating teammates in a passing drill on Oct. 10, a day before City goes to its second tournament of the 2021-2022 season.

City opened up its season with the Mt. SAC Tip-Off, a three-day tournament in Walnut, California.

The Knights first lost to host Mt. San Antonio, 97-42, after a slow start on offense.

Later, City won over Saddleback, 74-29, outscoring the Gauchos in all four quarters before losing to Long Beach City College, 71-43.

It has been a new journey for the majority of the team, as it is composed of 11 freshmen who are getting their first opportunity to play collegiate basketball. 

The Pacific Coast Athletic Conference’s most recent seasons prior to the COVID-19 shutdown had been challenging for City.

The Knights finished both the 2018-2019 and 2019- 2020 seasons outside the top three in the conference. 

However, freshman players like forward Kaniya Lloyd (Madison) have made early statements.

Lloyd, a 5-8 forward, is the early leading scorer for the team, averaging 18.7 points and 11 rebounds in the first three games and earning a post on the all-tournament team.

Knights women’s basketball players practice plays before the second tourney of the season. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

The young squad of players must adjust to the collegiate pace, increase in physicality and shortened time to build teamwork.

“We are starting to get more familiar with each other on court and how we all play together,” Lloyd said.

Next up is the Pasadena Classic, another three-day tournament hosted by Pasadena City College. City opens against the host Lancers (0-2).

“It’s going to be very physical,” point guard Caitlyn McCoy (Eastlake) said. “Those girls are going to be out for blood and I am very excited to play.”

Knights Caitlyn McCoy looks for open teammate at practice before the second tourney of the season.
Knights Caitlyn McCoy looks for open teammate at practice before the second tourney of the season. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

Head coach Andrea Aguilar-Montalban reflected from the first tournament.

“We learned what not to do,” she said, “and we learned how to come together as a team.”

COVID-19 has changed some of the landscape for the players for out-of-area tournaments. The team normally would stay in Pasadena and the tournament would be a single-elimination event.

But the players have to travel to Pasadena each day from San Diego for the three-day tourney and play a game each day, win or lose.

“We did not get into the gym until July, and because of COVID, we did not have regular freshman-sophomore players able to go into the gym during the summer,” Montalban said.

This season is a restart after the 2020-2021 season was canceled due to the California COVID-19 restrictions on sporting events.

The season will feature four different non-conference tournaments that will include the Knights Invitational, which runs Nov. 18-20, and the Knights Crossover Tournament, which runs Dec. 16-18.

Lloyd remains optimistic about her expectations.

“Honestly, we got big things in store for this season,” she said.

To see all upcoming games, go to the Knights athletics schedule.

City men start 2-1

The City College men’s basketball team advanced to the championship game of the Gehler Memorial Tournament, but fell to host Miramar College, 62-55, on Nov. 6.

The Knights (2-1) moved into the finale after upending MiraCosta in the semifinal and defeating Copper Mountain in the opening game.

Knights sophomore guard Jonathan Ogugua (Houston, TX) and freshman guard Josh Williams (Sacramento, CA) were selected to the all-tournament team.

Ogugua has had a fast start offensively, averaging 19 points with a 45% three-point percentage and making 41.5 of his shots from the floor.

This tournament featured eight teams from the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference. In addition to the Knights and Jets, MiraCosta and Palomar qualified for the semifinals.

City will get its chance to showcase its skills at home by hosting the Knights Invitational, a two-day tournament, beginning Nov. 12. 

The Knights will take on Orange Coast College (2-1) on Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. and then Barstow (1-1) on Nov. 13 at 1 p.m.