MAGAZINE: Holidays can still be celebrated from home

City Times offers students a pandemic-friendly, practical guide for holiday celebrations

Happy holidays

The holidays can be safe and fun from home. Canva photo

Deserie Larios, Staff Writer

Legend Magazine CoverThis story originally appeared in the fall 2020 edition of the Legend Magazine

With San Diego moving to the purple tier, California’s strictest level, many students and families are wondering how to quarantine efficiently during the holiday season.

City Times offers activities you can still do safely and at a distance during the pandemic.

Using outdoor dining and curbside pickup

You can still enjoy your favorite cuisines as an alternative to indoor dining. Picking up a cookbook and trying recipes at home is another alternative.

Cafe Gratitude and holiday cookies

Cafe Gratitude’s ready-to-decorate cookie kits for the holidays include pre-baked cookies and pre-made icing, made with organic ingredients and gluten free. Order yours now while supplies last on their website

Nature lovers

From hiking in Otay to walks in the Zoro Garden at Balboa Park, nature lovers can go out at a distance to explore.

Chicano Park is open with many historical murals to view during a walk or a nice picnic.

While gyms remain closed, you can still create your own home workouts. Biking and going for a walk or run is still an option for a scenic outdoor workout.

Art lovers

Liberty Station has virtual art exhibits and magic shows available. Virtual painting classes (with or without wine) with Pinot’s Palette are also a fun way to mark the season. The dates, times and prices for the variety of painting kits offered are available on the website.

Finding new hobbies

Explore your talents by investing in new hobbies like cooking, learning to play an instrument or working on DIY projects to organize your house. Instagram has great ideas!

‘Tis the season

Get into the Christmas spirit and start decorating around the house this holiday season. Families can enjoy Christmas lights displays around the city of San Diego. A list of the best spots to enjoy this month can be found on the Hidden San Diego website.