VIDEO: Gavin Newsom delivers State of the State amid recall effort

Next deadline in push to oust governor comes on Wednesday

Gavin Newsom

Governor Gavin Newsom delivered the State of the State Address this week. @CAGovernor on Twitter

Jillian Fortner, Multimedia Journalist

Governor Gavin Newsom delivered the State of the State Address at an empty Dodger Stadium Tuesday, focusing on uniting California a year after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are bent but not broken,” Newsom said. “Bloodied but unbowed. Resolved to make it to brighter days ahead – to not let the pain of last year deter the hopefulness of tomorrow.”

The latest on the address and reaction to it can be seen in this week’s episode of Newscene, the award-winning student-produced weekly newscast.

He reflected on the hardships of the past year and the criticism he has received due to the pandemic.

“People are alive today because of the public health decisions we made – lives saved because of your sacrifice,” Newsom said. “Even so, I acknowledge it’s made life hard and unpredictable, and you’re exhausted with all of it.”

The Governor hoped Californians could look to the future with optimism as he continues to move the state forward, even with a recall effort against him in progress. 

The push to oust Newsom has collected the target number of signatures, according to the effort’s website. If they are validated, it would put the measure on the November ballot.

Gloria wants to put San Diego back to work: Mayor Todd Gloria released details on his plan to help San Diego recover from the pandemic.

“Back to Work SD” includes efforts to help San Diegans get vaccinated as well as provides assistance to renters and small businesses. 

The funding comes from the recently approved federal stimiulus package. The city is still waiting for specific guidance on how to use the aid. 

Huge artists boycotting the Grammys: The 63rd annual Grammys are set for Sunday, celebrating music and live shows that have been hugely impacted by the pandemic. 

The event will feature live performances by Taylor Swift, Cardi B, Dua Lipa, BTS and Bruno Mars.

Behind the scenes, a controversy about the nomination process has many artists like The Weekend, Drake, Kanye West and Frank Ocean commenting on social media on an apparent snubbing of artists who are people of color.

In a statement to The New York Times, The Weekend said he would boycott the awards from now on.

Multimedia journalists Ayo Elise and Andy Flores contributed to this report.