City College honors art students to show work at The Art of Freedom pop-up exhibit

The event will take place in the Fine Art Sculpture Gallery today

San Diego City College honors art student Nilo Ondevilla works on a painting of the Phillipine School for the Arts, his childhood alma mater, at San Diego City College on April 18, 2023. Photo by Kathryn Gray/City Times Media

Kathryn Gray, Editor-In-Chief

A pink and yellow graphic advertising The Art of Freedom occurring at The Fine Arts Gallery Sculpture Garden on Tuesday, May 9 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The art of San Diego City College honors students will be featured in a pop-up show called The Art of Freedom, according to featured artist Nilo Ondevilla.

The event in the Fine Arts Gallery Sculpture Garden will be held on May 9 from 5-7 p.m. and will represent various mediums.

Graduating this spring and heading to Florence to study for the summer before attending the Academy of Art in San Francisco in the fall, Ondevilla’s work is expected to include charcoal drawings and acrylic paintings.

Ondevilla is new to painting with acrylic, something Art Professor Wayne Hulgin encouraged him to explore.  Ondevilla finds it more efficient than oil because it dries faster.

“He’s just at natural drawing,” Hulgin said. “He’s gonna have a great future because he’s so ambitious.”

Ondevilla’s and other honors students’ work will be available for purchase at the event.