18 events around San Diego for City College students to find summer fun

Don’t miss sports, shopping, music and food all over the county

Taking in a San Diego Wave soccer game is one of many ways to enjoy summer in San Diego. San Diego Wave FC photo

Sydney Dull, Multimedia Journalist

Unsure about what to do during summer? San Diego has it all! Ranging from food festivals to plays and sporting events, here are 18 events throughout San Diego County that can ensure you have an awesome and eventful summer.

1. San Diego Padres

Support your San Diego Padres by going to one of their many homestands this season. With live-action baseball, giveaways, and pre-festivities, you are ensured a great time at America’s finest ballpark.

2. San Diego County Fair

The County Fair is back and better than ever! “Get Out There” to enjoy a day of fair food, games and rides, animal exhibits and concerts! The fair runs through July 4. Tickets are currently on sale.

3. SD Lao Food Festival

The Laos Americans Organization of San Diego presents the Lao Food Festival, which showcases not only fine cuisine but the culture of Laos. The event takes place from June 17-18 at the Mira Mesa Community Park. The festival includes traditional Laos food, live music and cultural performances.

4. Blink-182: World Tour

Are you a big alternative rock fan? If you are, the perfect tour is coming to town. Blink-182 is hitting the road and making a two-day stop in San Diego on June 19 and 20 at Pechanga Arena. Both shows start at 7:30 p.m.

5. World Lacrosse Men’s Championship 

The World Lacrosse Men’s Championship comes to San Diego this year. Running from  June 21 to July 1, you can watch Team USA take on international teams like Isreal, Mexico, Australia and more at Snapdragon Stadium, Torerro Stadium and San Diego State.

6. San Diego Smooth Jazz Festival

The 5th annual San Diego Smooth Jazz Festival takes place on June 24-25 at the Rady Shell at Jacobs Park. Enjoy some smooth jazz with different artists over 2 days, along with some delicious food. Tickets are currently on sale.

7. SD Wave Soccer

SD Wave season is underway, and what better way to enjoy soccer than a theme night.  Join SD Wave on June 24 to celebrate Pride Night at 7 p.m. against OL Reign. 

8. Six the Musical

San Diego Theater is proud to present Six the Musical, showing at Civic Theater. Come watch a story about six wives singing music like you are at a pop concert. The play runs from June 27 to July 1. Tickets are starting at $44. 

9. Escondido Swap Meet

A market with a Mexican vibe, antiques and accessories. It’s the perfect place for a fun day with friends or to find some neat things for yourself. The Escondido Swap Meet is open every Wednesday-Sunday. 

10. Morgan Wallen: One Night at a Time World Tour

Country superstar Morgan Wallen is hitting the road and is coming to Petco Park, with opening acts from Bailey Zimmerman, Ernest and HARDY. Bring your cowboy hats and boots, and join them at Petco Park on July 14 and 15 for nonstop country fun.

11. San Diego Pride

Bring out your rainbow and come celebrate Pride in San Diego on July 15 and 16. Come celebrate at one of the biggest Pride events in the U.S. with the Pride Parade, followed by a festival celebrating diversity and inclusion with a variety of booths and live entertainment. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by San Diego Pride (@sandiegopride)

12. San Diego Comic-Con

Grab your Marvel gear, your DC costumes, and all of your merch because Comic-Con is returning to San Diego. From July 20-23, come see some of your favorite actors, booths from your favorite shows and discover what Comic-Con is all about.

13. San Diego Street Nights Festival

Don’t want to cook dinner one night? Say no more. Come enjoy some great street food, craft beer and music at the San Diego Street Nights Festival located at Port Pavillion on Broadway Pier. The event takes place on Saturday, July 29 from 4-10 p.m.

14. Kobey’s Swap Meet

Located at the Sports Arena parking lot, Kobey’s Swap Meet is the perfect place to find unique items or swap in some of your own at one of San Diego’s biggest outdoor markets. Kobey’s Swap Meet runs every Friday-Sunday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

15. Petco Park Tours

Get a behind-the-scenes look at America’s #1 ballpark by taking a tour of Petco Park. Learn about the history of Petco Park while walking along the warning track, visiting the Padres Hall of Fame and more exciting stops inside the ballpark. 

16. Lil Baby: It’s Only Us Tour

One of hip-hop’s hottest artists is hitting the road. Come join Lil Baby on the “It’s Only Us” Tour with supporting artists The Kid Laroi, GloRilla, GLOSS UP, Rylo Rodriguez and Hunxho. See Lil Baby at Pechanga Arena on Wednesday, August 2 at 7 p.m. and enjoy some throwback songs, as well as songs from his most recent album “It’s Only Me.”

17. Beetlejuice the Musical

Loved the Beetlejuice movie? Now you can enjoy the story at the theater. Starting on August 15 and running through August 20, come experience Bettlejuice the Musical at the San Diego Civic Theater. 

18. OB Farmers Market

Rain or shine, the Ocean Beach Farmers Market is the perfect place to get some delicious fruits and vegetables while enjoying a day out. It’s perfect for a date, a casual day with your girlfriends or just to grab some refreshing food. The market sets up every Wednesday from 4-8 p.m.