REVIEW: “Ford v Ferrari”

Matt Damon and Christian Bale delivered outstanding performances in “Ford v Ferrari”

Mikal Garcia, Staff Writer

I’ve just recently seen “Ford v Ferrari” and I must say, I didn’t know what to expect going into the movie, but it didn’t disappoint at all. It’s a movie based on how the Ford company created the Ford GT car and beat Ferrari at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans in France.

Taking place in Dearborn, Michigan, “Ford v Ferrari” told the story of the growth of Ford from a third-person perspective. It takes you through the trials and tribulations of the company.

The main characters are American automotive designer Carroll Shelby, played by Matt Damon, and fearless British race car driver Ken Miles, played by Christian Bale, as they battled their differences and came together to make a Ford supercar.

Damon and Bale are well-respected and talented actors who didn’t disappoint. Damon delivered a poised performance as a presumably southern Shelby, and Bale delivered a fully accurate depiction of Miles. Academy-Award-level performances.

I liked pretty much everything about this film. The high-intensity race scenes were accurate and weren’t cheesy like “The Fast and the Furious” scenes. The film is also a tear-jerker and you get attached to the characters and their goals. 

I feel like this is a film for audiences of all ages. It was just a well put-together film with humor, sadness and triumph. It is a PG-13 rated film. It is an outstanding film.

#MikalsMovieRating 9.1/10

For his performance in this movie, Christian Bale was nominated for best actor in a Motion Picture Drama for the 2020 Golden Globes.

Mikal Garcia is a sophomore at San Diego City College. He is also a member of the San Diego City College men’s basketball team.