REVIEW: “Queen & Slim”

Starring Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith, “Queen & Slim” is worth your time.

Mikal Garcia, Staff Writer

I’ve just recently seen the movie “Queen and Slim” and I must say it’s a well put together film. A solid drama-thriller film that will make you either root, or feel bad, for the fugitives.

Slim, played by Daniel Kaluuya, and Queen’s, played by Jodie Turner-Smith, first date takes an unexpected turn when an overly aggressive policeman pulls them over for a minor traffic violation. 

When the situation escalates, Slim takes the officer’s gun and shoots him in self-defense. Now labelled cop killers in the media, Slim and Queen feel that they have no choice but to go on the run and evade the law. When a video of the incident goes viral, the unwitting outlaws soon become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people all across the country.

Kaluuya and Turner-Smith both deliver authentic, deep performances as Slim and Queen. Strong performances that could potentially receive awards.

I liked pretty much everything about this film. It showed you the many forms of black culture throughout the states. It was a movie that positively and accurately shows black culture.

The film is for everybody, and it kind of gives people the “black experience.” There are many high tension scenes that keep you engaged in the film and you get invested in the characters.

This is for people ages 15 and up. The film is rated R and there is some nudity throughout the film. This is a movie for all races and really any minority group. This is a good film that is worth your time.

#MikalsMovieRating 8.2/10

Mikal Garcia is a sophomore at San Diego City College. He is also a member of the San Diego City College men’s basketball team.