Students to receive donated laptops from City College

Officials hope to have as many as 5,000 laptops available

Five hundred laptops and WiFi hubs will be distributed to City College students, according to President Ricky Shabazz. Twitter photo

Luz Jaimes, Staff Writer

San Diego City College will be giving out 500 laptops and Wi-Fi hubs to deserving students starting today, according to an email sent by San Diego City College President Ricky Shabazz on Tuesday.

The laptops will help students do their online assignments now that in-person classes are canceled for the rest of the semester.

“Many of our students lack the resources and technology needed to continue their college education remotely,” said San Diego City College President Ricky Shabazz in a news release. “We are making every effort to support our students and help them be successful as our courses transitioned to online and other alternative modes of instruction.”

This will help students complete their work, which requires computer access as some class assignments and readings are difficult to access and read on smartphones and other devices.

Shabazz announced in an email that City College is sharing a short video asking people to help and donate to provide more computers for students.

There are several ways that you can help your fellow classmates, including donating money and sharing the video on social media.

According to the email, the goal is to eventually accommodate 5,000 students with laptops.

For more information or to donate, visit sdcity.edu/donate.

Are you a student struggling to complete online assignments due to technology issues? Share your story with us on social media @sdcitytimes or comment below.