City College celebrates Black History Month virtually

In celebration of Black History Month, City College will host virtual presentations all throughout February

Black History Month at City College

Students can learn more about Black History Month at City College on the campus website. sdcity.edu screenshot

Deserie Larios, Staff Writer

With this being the first virtual Black History Month due to the COVID-19 pandemic, San Diego City College has prepared a fully online celebration.

Faculty welcomed students to the celebration on a student service resource page.

“I’ve taught at five different campuses over the course of my career,” said Darius Spearman, a professor at City College in the video, “and with all sincerity, there is no other campus I’d rather be at then right here at City College.”

All of the events for this month will be virtual and on Zoom. The presentations will include: 

• A screening of the film Fences by August Wilson
• The voices of Black students on their personal experiences with the intersectionality of race 
• Discussions of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s life
• Storytimes and virtual presentations
• Musical performances including the Langston Hughes Project: Ask your Mama-12 moods of Jazz

The next event will be a virtual storytime for students of stories told by the Black community in regards to history, cultural norms and practices. It will be on Feb. 16 from 3-4 p.m. 

A film screening of Fences will be on Feb. 19 from 5-8 p.m. Fences tells the story of Troy Maxson, played by Denzel Washington, who makes his living as a sanitation worker in 1950s Pittsburgh.

The Zoom link for this film screening is available here.

Later this month, a discussion of the Langston Hughes Project: Ask Your Mama-12 Moods for Jazz will be on Feb. 20 from 6-8 p.m. 

This event is free to attendees. To attend, visit https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/7524965099. 

Earlier this month, director of “The Black Fatherhood Project,” Jordan Thierry, hosted a Zoom event for students and discussed his film on Feb. 5.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by HUBU (@hubusdcity)

More information about Thierry’s film is available at http://blackfatherhoodproject.com/.

The dates, along with Zoom links for all the upcoming events, are available on the resource website here.

If you cannot attend the live events, the San Diego City College Library has films and books available for students to rent that tell numerous stories and highlight many experiences with respect to Black history.

For more information on the resources and services offered during the campus closure and curbside pickup, visit the library’s website here

Students are encouraged to join the events to celebrate the roles of African Americans and Black culture in society over the centuries.