MAGAZINE: Tuna melt, with my grandma’s best potato salad recipe

#CityCookingChallenge kicks off with a make-at-home version of Panera’s Pick 2

#CityCookingChallenge

Jesus Lopez

City Times reporter Jesus Lopez made a hearty tuna melt and bowl of carrot soup after Hunger Action Day at City College. Photo by Jesus Lopez/City Times

Jesus Lopez, Staff Writer

CityScene, Spring 2021 coverClick here to view the debut edition of CityScene magazine.

Food is a universal experience and is our common ground.Cooking serves as a stress reliever, so why not pass your time making easy meals from your local food drive.

Food insecurity impacts one out of seven people in San Diego County. Representing 302,000 adults and 141,000 children who aren’t always able to have enough food for a healthy lifestyle.

Hunger Action Day started as a response to having the campus food pantry closed following the COVID-19 shutdown in March of 2020.

“This pandemic has enlightened and illuminated how much food insecurities we have in our community of students,” said Marciano Perez, Dean of Student Affairs.

Hunger Action Day tackles food insecurity one bag at a time, in collaboration with The San Diego Food Bank and Feeding San Diego.

Food is available for all students, classified professionals, faculty and community members of City College. All participants must stay in their cars.

“I really, really, appreciate what you have been doing out here, because with the pandemic it has been pretty hard,” said Virginia Vela, a community member of City College.

You can join #CityCookingChallenge and share your favorite recipes and or meals with us.